Thursday, June 17, 2004

Spring 04 Jam

The following is a copy of the invitation that we sent out for the Spring 04 jam. The next jam will most likely be in October;

Come join us for an afternoon and evening of live music featuring who knows who from an eclectic collection of friends, neighbors and acquaintances. Enjoy the fun and frivolity as we take turns entertaining each other with our wit, wisdom and musical talents at the last bastion of bohemia in South Austin, the Enclave.

Last fall we were lucky enough to have good turnout in spite of the poor weather. Some of the Artist’s and groups who performed were:

Page Williams, Mike Yeates, Robert Lindsay Nathan, T. C. Smythe and Gary Taylor of Smythe and Taylor, David Clary, Amanda Walker, Amanda and Brie Walker, Lana Grubaugh and Charlie Morton of Diva and the Buttheads, Tom and Kathleen Griffith, Herman the German, Lars Stanley and the Blacksmith Boys, and The Enclave Vagabonds.

Other contributing Artists included Danny Webb – Harmonica and Guitar, John Bode – Keyboards, Matt Gordon – Fiddle, Kevin Hollingsworth – Lead Guitar, Jody French – Bar-B-Que and Resident Machinist, Steve Fryer – Sound Board and CD Engineer, and Tom Whitehead – Photography.

The Artist’s Enclave is an old construction yard located along the railroad tracks at the South end of South 7th Street where it runs into Mary. It’s real close to the Horseshoe lounge on Lamar. You’ll find that the event will have a unique ambiance, located in the midst of old metal buildings (now occupied by artisians of varying crafts), and left over construction materials.

To get there from Lamar Street, turn East on Mary Street. Just after you cross the railroad tracks, turn right on South 7th Street. Go to the end of the street and enter the compound through the chain link gate to the right.

As host, I will furnish the PA system and the first keg of Shiner Bock. There will most likely be food, kind of a pot luck thing (bring what you will), as the Enclave features a variety of home made cooking pits and improvisational dining areas.

So bring your food, enthusiasm and instruments (Or if you don’t play one, an old washboard or wash tub will do for keeping time. And if you forget that, you can probably find a piece of junk to beat on around the site). Also, it might be advisable to bring a lawn chair or two. Also, there is plenty of room for you out of towners to pitch a tent if you don't want to get a hotel room or impose on local acquaintances for their couch. Fun will be had by all.

9 Comments:

Blogger Robert Nathan said...

I wanted to thank everyone who attended the Enclave Event and for their continued support. I think that you’ll all agree that it was a great success this time and that we had a really good bunch of musicians show up.

I do have one thing to report that is rather disappointing. Some of you may recall a guy named Tim that played,. He had a gray beard and wore an old Fedora hat. He called himself on the Sign in sheet “Beg, Barry and Steel”. Which I found out Sunday morning was some sort of sick joke.

The guy spent the night there ”slept on the ground”, and after taking advantage of my hospitality, he proceeded to relieve me of my cell phone and most of the scotch that didn’t get drunk the night before.

The scotch didn’t bother me so much, but when I realized the phone was missing, Gary Cross called it and Tim was on the other end babbling incoherently about haw he had mistakenly thought it was his phone and would somehow get it back but would have to take a bus and couldn’t tell us where he was.

We later ran down Sparky Joe who also played Saturday evening and who knows of the Tim, and who said he works at some building in north Austin as a night watchman. This may be the address that he wrote on the sign in sheet as 1017 North Loop Drive, although he put the city as Dallas (he spelled it “Dalas”).

I’m telling you all of this in case you know him. I just would ask you to pass along the word that I intend to file a stolen property report with the Austin police department for the phone. If he would like to avoid this harassment, please tell him to return the phone and I will drop the charges.

Also, if any of you took photo’s and happened to capture him on film, I would appreciate it if you would forward me a copy.

If you know of others who attended who aren’t on this list, please forward this to them as well.

Once again, thanks for your continued support and participation.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Robert Nathan said...

Bob,

thanks for the invitation. My girlfriend and I enjoyed it from 8pm until about 11pm and want to thank you for all the effort. Would like to discuss with you, after my band is up to a reasonable level of proficiency
(June/July?), the concept of your jointly hosting with me (and with Divas and The Cavaliers playing some short sets during the evening) one of these so that the attendance is much bigger. While we were there, I estimated no more than 40 people, almost all of which played; minimal number of spectators. Was there more of a crowd earlier? GREAT CONCEPT AND T-SHIRTS;
MY GIRLFRIEND BOUGHT ME ONE. John Bode

7:33 AM  
Blogger Robert Nathan said...

Hey, Robert,

What a bummer about your phone! I took pictures but not of the drunken thief - he was NOT someone I wanted to remember for all time. I did promise to email some pictures to one of the Zilker school gals, last name like Schexnayder (sp?) and can't find the card she gave me, so if you have her email please send. Otherwise Robert Wilson's, because she was with his group and I'll email them to him. When I get back from New Orleans, I'll just make you a CD of the pictures I do have. Meanwhile, you probably sent your phone alert to Andy, Dale and Russ, but I'm copying them in case not. THANK YOU for putting it all together and for giving me courage once again!!
Page

7:33 AM  
Blogger Robert Nathan said...

Robert - Enjoyed The Enclave on Sat. Sorry my free tix to the late-running blues show at Zach Scott Theater (which went till 10:20pm) kept me from circling back and sitting in. Next time!

I've cc'd my college buddy I described on Sat.

best, hank

Henry W. (Hank) Jones, III

7:34 AM  
Blogger Robert Nathan said...

Bob,
I'd say it was a hell of a fine event.... however,
If you split the previous e-mail into two pieces, you got a great story about the enclave success in one, and song called "tim is not Mercier" where you can do a better job of harassing the guy than a mere APD report... shit, man, do you not see the mark of the scofflaw in the color of the paint? An APD report only adds a single line to what is no doubt a bulging file, but to go for the thoat and tell the truth in song?
no Mercier, no troubador, claim to Blaze so thin....

if you don't get the cell phone back, consider coming and digging a hole in my backyard. (from what I hear, hard diggin'n in tarpley is a chunk of salvation for the few ...) we'll work a little agression out and get my fence done, too.
then we can get on to song line,
... pretty flower's and bone meal, mixed with slag, shallow songs for gallow humor
to explain the lack of hangover colourful in the lyric above, a friend was supposed to have delivered an anvil stand to my house last night, but never showed, so I didn't make my usual Sunday night detour. my apologies.
Charles Wakeland

7:35 AM  
Blogger Robert Nathan said...

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. As pessimistic as I try to be, I secretly believe that most people are pretty decent. Or, for the "full" answer, as a biologist/reader/etc, I believe that peoples' needs are
ultimately best-met by adhering to the social contract. Annnnyway, I hope that this won't discourage you too much. There are some real s#!theads in the world. Some even become president. :) Become not hardened but wise.
SIGH.

I'm working too much to get to see you guys play. Still, ice hockey and salsa dancing make life more-than-tolerable. I hope that the rest of your week improves.

- Todd Sayers

7:36 AM  
Blogger Robert Nathan said...

BTW: Alcohol is bad for you, as are cell phones (RF is a mutagen)... so, there's an off-grey side to all of this.. maybe...

If he did this on purpose, it must've been to make some free calls, can't imagine why else. . . but I can't imagine stealing a cell phone anyway. . .

BTW, Saw Sparky about to cross Lamar this morning on the way in, too much traffic between him and me, and no time to stop, but I'll keep checking around,
looking around. . . I'll find Tim sooner or later. . .


Gotta say something in the song about 'the cost of free long distance', maybe. . ."nothing free is worth the cost of the distance you travel wearing the face called shame. . ."

or something like that. . .

BTW, I believe his hat was a western-style, not exactly a fedora. . .

Gary Cross

7:37 AM  
Blogger Robert Nathan said...

Hey Robert,
Thanks for another fun evening at the enclave. I just get better each time. Sorry to hear about your phone. I'll keep an eye out for Tim. See Ya at Kerrville,
David DeBusk

7:37 AM  
Blogger Robert Nathan said...

And for those of you who didn't make it to the Enclave in Austin, you missed out on a really good time. See you Tuesday night.

Mike Yeates

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home